[kde-linux] Off Time Cron of Akonadi, Nepomuk

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Mar 15 17:46:23 UTC 2010

On Monday, 2010-03-15, David Baron wrote:
> It is no secret that latest and greatest KDE4 is even slower to get
>  started. Problem is still all those background processes from Akonadi and
>  Nepomuk.

What kind of problems?

> Would it be possible to cron these for all users to off hours? The user's
>  data can be synched, indexed or whatever required at 2 AM leaving more
>  minimal resynching for when the user actually logs and and uses KDE. The
>  ones active on login need be properly niced and ioniced.

You mean the indexing of files?
As in keeping only the Nepomuk query service running and deactivating Strigi?

> If recoll's indexer can run nicely, gracefully in the background (I start
>  it on kde startup), then our stuff can as well.

I currently don't run Strigi (little need for file indexing) but I guess
adding configuration options to only index at given times would make sense.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring