[kde-linux] Printing standard keyboard shortcuts

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sun Mar 14 01:16:19 UTC 2010

On Saturday 13 March 2010 04:46:34 pm Duncan wrote:
> sc posted on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:11:42 -0600 as excerpted:
> > On Saturday 13 March 2010 03:44:24 pm Thomas Taylor wrote:
> >> Is there some way to print out the listing of "standard
> >>
> >>  keyboard shortcuts" as listed in Desktop Configuration?  I've
> >>  made a couple of changes but want to make sure that I don't
> >>  clobber the existing shortcuts which I'm used to. Unfortunately
> >>  there is no print button in the configuration window.
> >>
> >> Further, is there a simple way to tell if some key combination
> >>
> >>  is used in any kde program within the "global shortcuts" without
> >>  having to work through the list?
> >
> > i've been known to take pictures of stuff like that with ksnapshot
> > (hardwired to my print screen button in my distro) then embed the
> > _.png in an oowriter document if i want a hardcopy
>
> What I'd do in such a case is find the config file and use that as my
> listing, printing it or backing it up if necessary.  I don't have
> time to go looking now, but presumably, it's under
> $KDEHOME/share/apps/<something-recognizable> or
> $KDEHOME/share/config/<something-recognizable> .
>
> ($KDEHOME defaults to ~/.kde, or ~/.kde4 or the like on some
> distributions.  The apps subdir contains per-app subdirs of its own,
> while the config subdir contains individual files.)
>
> The config files are designed to be human readable, and it's
> generally pretty clear what's going on, even to the point of being a
> simple list, once you get the right config file.  strace comes in
> useful for finding where an app is looking for the config files, tho
> you need to grep-filter out a *LOT* of extraneous info to find the
> otherwise needle in a haystack.

Thanks to both of you for the responses.  SCs idea sounds interesting
except I don't have a digital camera (would be useful).

Think I'll modify the standard keyboard shortcuts in desktop configure
and then look at the files under ~/.kde4/../config and sort them by
mtime, then hopefully the most recent will have what I want.

Thanks again.
--
Thanks, Tom (retired penguin)
openSUSE 11.3M3 x86_64, KDE 4.4.0