[kde-linux] Printing standard keyboard shortcuts

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Mar 14 00:46:34 UTC 2010

sc posted on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:11:42 -0600 as excerpted:

> On Saturday 13 March 2010 03:44:24 pm Thomas Taylor wrote:
>
>> Is there some way to print out the listing of "standard
>>  keyboard shortcuts" as listed in Desktop Configuration?  I've made a
>>  couple of changes but want to make sure that I don't clobber the
>>  existing shortcuts which I'm used to. Unfortunately there is no print
>>  button in the configuration window.
>>
>> Further, is there a simple way to tell if some key combination
>>  is used in any kde program within the "global shortcuts" without
>>  having to work through the list?
>>

> i've been known to take pictures of stuff like that with ksnapshot
> (hardwired to my print screen button in my distro) then embed the _.png
> in an oowriter document if i want a hardcopy

What I'd do in such a case is find the config file and use that as my
listing, printing it or backing it up if necessary.  I don't have time to
go looking now, but presumably, it's under
$KDEHOME/share/apps/<something-recognizable> or
$KDEHOME/share/config/<something-recognizable> .

($KDEHOME defaults to ~/.kde, or ~/.kde4 or the like on some
distributions.  The apps subdir contains per-app subdirs of its own, while
the config subdir contains individual files.)

The config files are designed to be human readable, and it's generally
pretty clear what's going on, even to the point of being a simple list,
once you get the right config file.  strace comes in useful for finding
where an app is looking for the config files, tho you need to grep-filter
out a *LOT* of extraneous info to find the otherwise needle in a haystack.