[kde-linux] KDE 4.2.4

Louis Hinman slack at rcn.com
Wed Mar 3 20:28:45 UTC 2010

Thanks, Werner, for your helpful comments.

It's mainly scrolling, switching apps that were slow.  Unchecking "Enable
desktop effects" makes *everything* faster.

I think that solves my immediate problem.  However, I'd be interested in
knowing if I have one of the not-so-good combos of X11 drivers and video card.

My Dell Inspiron 8500 is listed in Setup to have an ATI Radeon 9000 video
controller.  My original invoice lists: "32 MB DDR 4X AGP ATI M9 3D video"
which I assume as the spec for the video card.

Slackware 13.0 says: "upgraded versions of the modular X11 Windows System from
X.org offer improved video chipset support and higher performance".  However,
the Slackware 12.2 said the same thing, so it looks like no changes to X11
since the 12.2 release.

Any further thoughts you have will be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

Vwaju

Am Wednesday 03 March 2010 19:31:48 schrieb Louis Hinman:
> I just upgraded my Linux installation to Slackware 13.0, which incorporates
> KDE 4.2.4.
>
> My previous installation was Slackware 12.2, which incorporated KDE 3.5.10.
>
> I am dismayed to find KDE 4.2.4 running very s-l-o-w.

is this application behaviour, startup time etc. or 'just' responsiveness like
scrolling/switch applications ... ?
if it is the latter, try first disabling all desktop effects.
additionally, what graphics card/X11 drivers do you have ?
it is well known, that kde 4.x behaves very sluggish with certain combinations
thereof.
see my experience with intel onboard graphics/kde/xorg here:
http://www.hoernerfranzracing.de/php/wordpress/?cat=3

HTH

werner