[kde-linux] recurring to-do's

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jun 13 10:31:08 UTC 2010

Anne Wilson posted on Sun, 13 Jun 2010 08:19:16 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Sunday 13 June 2010 02:50:54 Louis Hinman wrote:
>> I cannot get the Recurrence function to work correctly in KOrganizer in
>> KDE 4.2.4, and no one has answered my query about this on the KDE-PIM
>> Mailing List.
>>
> So it slipped through the net.  These things happen sometimes.  However,
>  I don't have any answer for you.  (Note that on this list you haven't
> even said what the problem is, and on neither list have you said which
> distro or version of KDE you are using.)  I do not use recurring tasks,
> so I can't answer for that.  It certainly is not true on any of my
> systems that reminders fail to work for recurring appointments.

Um... read what you quoted of his message.  He DID say which version of
kde.  4.2.4. =:^)

@ LH:  I don't use KOrganizer so can't give you any specific help there,
but in general... kde4 is still quite immature and is developing very fast.

I know for a fact that kde 4.2.4 was quite buggy, as that's the version I
switched from 3.5.10 with, and while I run a lot of release candidates and
betas, despite kde's claims, 4.2.4 wasn't anywhere /close/ to release
candidate quality, let alone full release quality.  I would and did call
it early beta quality at best, as there were simply too may major features
still broken with it.

4.3 was *MUCH* better, tho still nowhere close to release quality -- I'd
call it late beta quality.  4.4, the current minor version, with 4.4.4 the
current micro-version, is again dramatically improved, to where it's
actually looking sane to consider it for what IMO /should/ have been 4.0,
tho I'd still call it release candidate quality, as there's still a few
less critical bugs remaining, but in general it at least works, now.
Obviously, I'm looking forward to 4.5, as given the trend, that should
finally be release quality.  We'll see, I guess, but meanwhile...

Your 4.2.4 is over a year out of date now, and in that year, kde4 went
from what I'd call early beta to release candidate quality.  As I said, I
really have no idea about your specific bug as I don't run that app, but
given the tremendous improvement of kde4 in general during that time, I'd
DEFINITELY suggest upgrading, as regardless of whether that bug has been
fixed, a huge stack of others have been, and I expect you'll find 4.4
*MUCH* more usable.  4.2.4 was... honestly... "just broken" in far too
many areas, so much so that it pains me to see anyone still stuck running
it.