[kde-linux] Splash screen import errors

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 30 06:21:36 UTC 2010

Thomas Taylor posted on Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:56:52 -0800 as excerpted:

> Those environment variables don't seem to be my problem as they're not
> set.  The output of "set | less" shows:
>
> JDK_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/java
> JRE_HOME=/usr//jvm/jre
> KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
> KDE_MULTIHEAD=false
> KDE_SESSION_UID=1000
> KDE_SESSION_VERSION=4
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8

What I'm trying to say, but it wasn't coming out well, is that if the vars
aren't set (as they aren't for you, that's confirmed now), KDE uses a
default path.  If they were set, it would use the set path.  Whether it's
using the default path or a set path, however, that path needs to be free
of symlinks.

Since I know none of them are set now, and I have a bit of time, I'll see
if I can find the default paths kde uses when the vars aren't set, so you
can verify there's no symlink in them.  However, it's still possible your
distribution changes the defaults a bit, to better fit their layout.  Keep
that in mind and consider asking them, if necessary.

OK, found them:  khelpcenter app, kde user's manual, part VI, kde for
administrators, chapter 25, kde internals, environment variables section.
Here's the vars again, what they control, and what their default is,
quoted straight from the manual as referenced above.  Again, make sure
these dirs are writable by your user, and that there's no symlinks in the
path leading to them:

$KDEHOME

If not set, KDE uses ~/.kde as the directory where personal data is stored.

(Note that if your distribution is setup to keep kde3 and kde4 in separate
dirs, this will often be patched to be ~/.kde3 or ~/.kde4, depending on
the version of course, and may even be ~/.kde43 or ~/.kde4.3, etc, if they
break versions down that far.  But ~/.kde is the default as shipped by
kde, according to the kde docs as referenced above.)

$KDETMP

Allows to specify another path than /tmp where KDE stores its temporary
files.

(Actually, kde normally creates its own directory in /tmp, I believe it's
/tmp/kde-<user>/ , with <user> of course replaced appropriately, for each
user.  More secure distributions may patch this to have it point by
default to ~/tmp/, a user-private tmpdir, instead.)

$KDEVARTMP

Allows to specify another path than /var/tmp where KDE stores its variable
files.

(Similarly here, only these files are cache, etc, thus potentially useful
to save over a reboot, while /tmp is FSB speced as clearable on boot.)

So the bottom line is, make sure that $HOME/.kde, /tmp, and /var/tmp (and
any similar paths your distribution may have patched to use), are all
three real paths with no symlinks, and fully writable by the user in
question.  Otherwise, as I discovered, strange bugs popup with various
bits of kde, including the kdelook/get-new-stuff integration, and
customizing certain settings, including toolbars, in at least certain kde
apps, including kmail and konqueror.