[kde-linux] Programs won't launch in kde 4.4 (SOLVED)

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 23:54:36 UTC 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 04:49:58 am Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2010-01-18, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > I've been playing with kde 4.4RC1 for a few days now and am running
> > into a problem.launching programs from a file manager, both
> > krusader (2.0.0) and dolphin (1.4).  When I click on a file
> > associated with some program, nothing happens.  If I right click
> > on the item and choose "open with" and select an appropriate
> > program, again nothing happens.
> >
> > I am able to run the programs from CLI but klauncher doesn't seem
> > to be working.  I've searched through the /var/log messages but
> > haven't seen anything pertinent, at least no runtime error
> > messages.
> >
> > Programs launched from icons still work.
> >
> > I've checked the associations in "Configure Desktop > Advanced >
> > File Associations" but they are all correct.
> >
> > Following a lead in a different thread I tried the following:
> >
> > laptop:/home/tom/Documents # kdeinit4
> > kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
> > kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
> > klauncher(16148) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you
> > have started the DBUS server.
> > kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
> > ### added -
> > laptop:/home/tom/Documents # service dbus start
> > D-Bus already started. Not starting.
> > laptop:/home/tom/Documents #
> > ###
>
> This will start the D-Bus system bus, not the D-Bus session bus
> required here. Are you running that from within a desktop session of
> some sort? As the same user or as a different one?
>
> If not you can try dbus-launch kdeinit4
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Kevin, thanks for the response.  I managed to resolve the problem from a
suggestion in the openSUSE forum.  I went into YaST2, opened the repo
tab, selected kde factory repo, and chosr "replace with vendors
version".  Took about 45 minutes.  Then logged out and back in again.
Now associated programs are opened properly.

But it also brought on another problem.  Root mode programs (krusader &
dolphin) won't open.  I'll post a new message for this.
----
Thanks, Tom (retired penguin)
openSUSE 11.2 x86_64, KDE 4.4RC1
Kmail 1.13.0, FF 3.6