[kde-linux] kppp

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 14 01:47:31 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 09:20:13
falkengeist at surfbest.net wrote:
> A further update of the serial modem problem in kppp.
>
> I have 3 systems using 3Com Courier serial modems. Two
> are earlier 3CP3453 models and the third was built after
> US Robotics took over. I tried my system with the later
> US Robotics modem for some unknown reason - and it
> worked. Keep in mind that Xandros always worked with all
> of the modems but does not use kppp.
>
> This told me two things. First, the command profile for
> the older modems is different than the later one. Second,
> Xandros handled both OK, so the commands in kppp are
> obviously different than Xandros. I felt I also had two
> choices, try to get the older modems in the same mode as
> the newer one, or use the Xandros commands. Xandros
> issues an ATV1
ATVn = Result codes in numerical or verbose form
> command.  I have no idea what this does, and my Courier
> documentation isn't
> much help
>
>  In the other distributions kppp shows ATZ
ATZ = reset modem
> - OK - ATM0L0, and that's it, it hangs. Perhaps the Z is
ATM0L0 =  set speaker to lowest volumne
> an issue since the
> modem stops on a speaker command?  But this is merely a
> reset.  I substituted the ATV1 for the ATZ in the kppp
> terminal and it worked. I'm tearing my
> hair out trying to find out where the strings are
> actually located in the
> software.
too many days have passed since I moved to DSL from kppp.  I
remember having to enter a string of AT commands 10 to 12
digits to get my USR modem to work in both Suse and
Slackware.
 All the AT commands may be found at
http://home.intekom.com/option/hayesat.htm
> If I could get to the strings I could use
> either method to get this
> to work.  Can someone tell me where they are?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Brigermann

Bill Wells