[kde-linux] Problems with KAddressBook KDE-4.3.4

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Sat Jan 9 21:09:34 UTC 2010

On Saturday 09 January 2010 12:44:22 Anne Wilson wrote:

> First - why do only a sub-set of records display?  It's almost as though
>  some filter is being employed.  Have you noticed any pattern in what is
>  displayed or omitted?
>
> Second - why are your changes not being saved?  That sounds almost as
>  though there is a permissions problem?  I wonder if the records go into
>  /tmp before being finally committed?  Just casting around, but I know that
>  selinux, for instance, has had problems with that one with regard to much
>  of KDE user work.
>
> It seems to be implied, but not actually stated, so I will ask the obvious.
> You have tried adding an addressbook and simply pointing it to the existing
> std.vcf?  That should be all that's needed.

Hi Anne,

first of all, thank you very much for your help. I started erasing everything
on the Laptop and on the PC, defined new resources on both, and started
entering a few ( 5 ) records on the PC. I saved the same records to the laptop
via rsync. A 6th random record on the PC was not accepted. Result after
rebooting = 5 records matching. I reentered the record, and after  a new
reboot I had only 4 records !! . rsync from laptop to PC, and I had again the
same 4 records, not the 5 I copied from the Laptop ! No pattern to see.

Similar procedure on the Laptop went _withouth_ problems. I updated records,
introduced filters, wrote new records, etc.

It seems therefore, that my kaddressbook program on the PC is damaged. I agree
with you, no bug can be seen.

A few questions:

1.) what are the backups std.vcf_6, std.vcf__1 etc. ? What is the system ?
2.) if I do a backup, backing up std.vcf seems not enough to save the
structures like filters etc.What should I have to save in addition ?
3.) to repair my PC-Addressbook, what would you suggest ? Recompile
kdepimlibs, kdepim, kdepim-runtime ? Or is it possible to recompile a
"kaddressbook" alone?

Thank you for the assistence !
Edgar