[kde-linux] plasma-desktop crashes after upgrade in kubuntu (SOLVED for me (not OP))

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jan 7 18:04:22 UTC 2010

Duncan posted on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 14:03:40 +0000 as excerpted:

> Jim Philips posted on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 06:26:30 -0500 as excerpted:
>
>> You can try removing all previous plasma configs and restarting:
>>
>> kquitapp plasma-desktop && rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop* &&
>> plasma-desktop &
>
> FWIW, I'm seeing a very similar issue (I recognize part of the output)
> with kde 4.3.4 on a new install on my netbook.  I started with an
> almost- empty homedir (just .bashrc, etc), and blew it away again to
> verify, and that doesn't help.

I solved the problem here!  It turned out to be an issue with hal-0.5.14.
package.masking it and reverting to hal-0.5.13-r2 (the -r2 is the Gentoo
revision number of the upstream 0.5.13) solved the issue for me.

The bug was listed in Gentoo's bug database when I went looking for
issues related to kde-base/plasma-workspace, the Gentoo package
containing plasma-desktop.  Apparently, the bug does NOT affect amd64/
x86_64, but DOES affect x86(_32), thus explaining why I hadn't seen it on
my main amd64 machine, only on the netbook I happen to be installing ATM.

qt-4.6.0 may also be involved, it's not clear yet, but most folks don't
seem to get the problem unless they're on x86, with BOTH qt 4.6 AND hal
0.5.14 installed.

(BTW, in reference to a different long-running thread, seeing the kde
4.3.x defaults with the default "air" theme... I can now quite easily see
how the folderview plasmoid looks like a "shower curtain".  The metaphor
seems very appropriate with the default blue bubbly desktop and the air
plasma theme!  Of course, I wasn't running either when that post came up,
and probably, few other regulars were either, so it was rather difficult
to make the connection.)

Anyway... HURRAY!  Now I can get to really configuring the thing! =:^)