[kde-linux] kppp

falkengeist at surfbest.net falkengeist at surfbest.net
Sun Jan 3 20:55:58 UTC 2010

Regarding this problem, I'm going to respond to a couple of e-mails
with one reply.  No sense adding to the back and forth if it can be
simplified.

I tried the wvdial suggestion.  When I ran wvdialconf it didn't even
recognize my modem, saying it was busy or didn't exist.  So, kppp
actually got further than this by recognizing and communicating with
the modem - to a point.  Since I've gotten this far with kppp, and
the fact that the modem works fine with Xandros, leads me to believe
that a fix would be simple.  Or is this wishful thinking?  I did look
at the log available in kppp, and it shows ATZ coming up, followed by
OK, then ATM0L0, but after that nothing.  I like kppp, I think it's
simple and easy to use, but it obviously has to work.  I have the US
Robotics version of the 3Com Courier, as well as 2, 3Com Couriers
before they were purchased by US Robotics. One of the best serial
modems ever should be recognized by everyone.

My ISP is a small provider called Surfbest, but I've never had a
problem with Xandros or Windows using them.  PIM in Xandros also
works fine using them for all of my incoming and outgoing mail.

Chuck