[kde-linux] KDE 4.3.4 + pnm2ppa + CUPS

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 2 22:06:10 UTC 2010

Lars Tennstedt posted on Sat, 02 Jan 2010 19:24:10 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hello and a happy new year,
>
> I have noticed print problems on my pc sine the release of KDE 4.0.0. I
> guessed that I had to wait that the KDE 4 or Qt 4 print backend got
> better.
>
> But at the moment I use KDE 4.3.4 on Arch Linux with pnm2ppa from AUR
> and CUPS. My box is up-to-date. I can print with Firefox, GIMP,
> OpenOffice and GNOME applications but I cannot still with KDE 4 or Qt 4
> applications.
>
> I did not find anything about that issue. Can someone help me?

I don't have a printer but this is what I've read:

There's some known issues with current kde and printing.  kde4's printing
is now based on qt's printing support, with kde4 apparently the first big
project to use it.  They found some significant bugs.

The proper qt4 fixes didn't make it for qt-4.6 unfortunately, tho they'll
be in 4.7, but there's supposed to be workarounds in kde-4.4, which will
depend on qt-4.6, so kde-4.4 should fix at least /some/ of the issues.

kde-4.4 (well, it's now kde-sc-4.4) is scheduled for February release, I
don't know the specific day.  Hopefully the workarounds therein will fix
your issues.

That said, AFAIK, the issues fixed are stuff like printing running off
the page (page size miscalculation), etc, not issues of no printing at
all.  So it may be that you have other issues.  Whether you want to try
to fix them now, knowing you may well still have printing issues even
when you get it working, or whether you prefer to wait for 4.4 and worry
about it then if it's not fixed, is of course up to you.