[kde-linux] Black screen in KDE 4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 2 18:30:16 UTC 2010

On 2010/01/02 19:09 (GMT+0100) Wolfgang Mueller composed:

> Kevin Krammer wrote:

>> Intel Graphics card and a kernel older than 2.6.31?

> As shown by uname -a, the kernel version is 2.6.31.5-0.1-default. But
> I have no idea on how to show the version of the Intel Graphics card.
> Anyway, I am afraid it is old, as is the computer.

More than one way. A few:
lspci
lspci -v
hwinfo --gfxcard

If the result includes the string "810" or "815" or "820" you might be better
off with an older distro, such as openSUSE 11.0. If your HD is a reasonably
large one, I suggest installing more than one distro instead of wiping
everything just to try something else. When you find what you like, use it.
Then when a newer version comes a long you wish to try, use the space
occupied by what you're not currently using to make sure it meets your
expectations before switching to its use full time.
http://fm.no-ip.com/partitioningindex.html

Older chips don't always work so well with modern bling. You may need to
disable 3dfx via use of sax2 and an xorg.conf file to prevent its use thus:

Section "Extensions"
  Option       "Composite" "off"
EndSection
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/