[kde-linux] Black screen in KDE 4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 2 16:30:58 UTC 2010

On 2010/01/02 16:35 (GMT+0100) Wolfgang Mueller composed:

> A few days ago, I installed SuSE 11.2 with KDE 4.3.1-2.4.
> After some work, the screen became black, and shutting down and
> restarting /usr/bin/xdm did not help. So, the only possibility to
> obtain a visible screen again is reinstalling SuSE 11.2. This night
> I did that, but after about 14 hours, the screen got black again.

What happens if you boot runlevel 3 instead of 5 and start KDE using startx
or startkde?

What happens if you do 'rckdm restart' instead of /usr/bin/xdm?

What is your gfxcard chip?

What clues do you find in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

What happens if you do a BIOS reset?

Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If not, as root, run 'sax2' and/or 'X
-configure' and see if the behavior changes.

Lots of things to try easier than reinstalling a whole OS. The problem might
be specific to openSUSE, so maybe good to ask on the opensuse-kde list too.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/