[kde-linux] Black screen in KDE 4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jan 2 16:16:28 UTC 2010

On Saturday, 2010-01-02, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> First of all, I wish a Happy New Year to all of you.
>
> A few days ago, I installed SuSE 11.2 with KDE 4.3.1-2.4.
> After some work, the screen became black, and shutting down and
> restarting /usr/bin/xdm did not help. So, the only possibility to
> obtain a visible screen again is reinstalling SuSE 11.2. This night
> I did that, but after about 14 hours, the screen got black again.
>
> Having two users, I found out an interesting detail: If the screen has
> become black for one user, it becomes black for the other user, too.

Intel Graphics card and a kernel older than 2.6. 31?

I had the same or a similar problem with an Intel 945GM and a 2.6.28 kernel.
After a while I saw extremly short and rare "twiching" and after a couple of
those the screen went black.

Switching to a virtual console trough, e.g. CTRL+ALT+F1 still works and there
is output there, just not any GUI anymore.

shutdown + restart helped for a while again.

Problem got fixed when I updated to an 2.6.31 kernel (might already work with
any version inbetween, those are the two I have tested with).

I can still reproduce this reliably when booting the old kernel, so it most is
a problem of that kernel's intel driver.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring