[kde-linux] Fw: Latest KDE printing adventures: Kubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 (alpha)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 2 09:40:12 UTC 2010

Bruce Miller posted on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 20:45:37 -0800 as excerpted:

>> I am experiencing a return of old problems (some of them previously
>> solved) with printing from KDE applications in the alpha versions of
>> Kubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04). At present, printing of text --- at least
>> from Kate --- appears to be working fine; printing from Konqueror is
>> once again a problem.

Hi,

I don't ATM have a printer and run Gentoo/~arch (the equivalent of
testing) for amd64 and x86, not kubuntu.  Thus I can't answer your
question very directly, especially since you give the kubuntu version,
not the kde version.

That said, I know there's some serious issues with printing on current
release (4.3.4) and earlier kde4.

Basically, it's because kde4 is supposed to base printing on qt4 printing
support (in kde3, it was stand-alone kde), but the qt4 printing support
is still immature and buggy -- apparently kde4 was the first major
project, commercial license or freedomware, that tried to use it, and in
the process they uncovered some serious bugs.  While those are fixed in
(what will be) qt-4.7, the fixes didn't quite make the freeze for qt-4.6.

But now that kde is aware of them, they've put workarounds in for kde 4.4
(based on qt-4.6, thus the workarounds), which is set for release in
February.

I believe printing running off the end of the page is one of the bugs
fixed, but I'm honestly not up on current status, ATM, and am not running
the kde-4.4 betas, either.  I guess you'll just have to see.  But
meanwhile, it might pay to upgrade to kde 4.4.0 as soon as it comes out,
getting it from whatever repo or building it yourself as necessary,
rather than waiting for the normal kubuntu upgrade cycle.  If you're
running kubuntu pre-releases, it sounds like you might be up for kde-4.4
pre-releases as well, but of course I'm not going to tell you to do it --
that's a personal decision.  (FWIW, I probably would be running them
myself, but I have another project I'm working on ATM and simply haven't
had the time.  So I'm CERTAINLY not going to tell you to run them, as I'm
not running them myself!)