[kde-linux] kppp

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jan 1 17:28:12 UTC 2010

On Friday, 2010-01-01, Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Friday 01 January 2010 17:29:37 schrieb falkengeist at surfbest.net:
> > Not sure if this is the correct forum or not.  I couldn't find
> > anything specifically dealing with kppp.  If I'm in the wrong place,
> > please give me some direction.  If I'm in the right place, please
> > give me some help.
>
> I'll try :)
> - so here goes:
> I've been using xandros on my eeepc701 for awhile and found it cumbersome,
>  to be honest (far outdated kde, crippeled konqueror, ridiculous software
>  repo...), so I replaced it with debian lenny, and all is ok :)
> but that's not the question, in essence.
> so, as to the modem/kppp issue, I can say from memory (long time ago, that
>  I last used a serial modem...) that I had often problems with kppp.
> I tried wvdial then (which comes with a handy autoconfig utility:
>  wvdialconf), which always worked perfectly, so I never went back to kppp.
> you may want to give it a try, it should be available for all distros you
> mentioned.
> there is even a qt frontend (qt3) for it, afaik (qtwvdial).

While KPPP has always worked for me, I'd also used wvdial back when dial-up
was my main internet connectivity, mostly because it has this really nice dial
on-demand feature making you almost forget the dialing step completely.

Still weird that one set of modem commands would work on one system and not on
the other.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring