[kde-linux] KDE 4 and monitor powering off.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 05:09:37 UTC 2010

> Dale posted on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:52:44 -0600 as excerpted:
>

>> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
>>
> I don't know what this bit is all about, but it's obviously some strangely
> borked setting in either gmail or chrome...
>

>>> I don't know if it affects everything or not.  But now that you know
>>> how to set it, you can setup a little script that sets it long, and
>>> another that sets it short, and put one in the kde startup dir and one
>>> in the shutdown dir...
>>>

>> I found a directory for the shutdown but I can't find a startup
>> directory.  Where does this go?  Also, do I just put the script in there
>> and it will run or do I need to do something "special" for KDE to run
>> it?
>>
> See kcontrol, personal, about me, paths, autostart path.
>
> It's interesting that the autostart path is configurable there, but the
> dir for things to run at kde shutdown isn't.  I wonder why...
>
> You can also use the kcontrol autostart module to setup autostart items.
> That's under advanced user settings.  But I think all it does is create
> the *.desktop file, script or symlink in the autostart dir for you.

After you mentioned this, I went to the setting thing, advanced,
autostart.  In there, you can set up startup and shutdown options.  Just
create your script and then tell it where they are in there.  I plan to
move that script I created so I may have to do this again.

>> I just found out this setting does not survive a logout/login.  So, I
>> have to do it this way I guess.
>>
> I knew it wouldn't survive an X shutdown/restart, but I didn't know
> whether it'd survive a logout to a *DM X based login screen.  I take the
> above to mean it doesn't?

Well, it may survive a plain logout.  I usually do a ctrl alt bcksp and
reset X at least somewhat.  I can't say that it would survive a logout
but it doesn't survive a reset at least.

This is my scripts:

#! /bin/bash

xset dpms 3600 3600 3600

and

#! /bin/bash

xset dpms 300 300 300

The first is for when KDE is starting and the second is for shutdown.  I
don't want the kdm screen to sit there idle for long periods of time.
The #! /bin/bash is the very first line.  I did make them executable by
the way.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)