[kde-linux] KDE 4 and monitor powering off.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Feb 25 21:07:32 UTC 2010

Dale posted on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:09:57 -0600 as excerpted:

> I don't appear to be doing something correctly here.  I typed in "xset
> q" and "xset -q" but I get a error.  I looked at the man page and the
> option is there but it's not working for some reason.  This is what I
> got:
>
> root at smoker ~ # man xset
> root at smoker ~ # xset q
> No protocol specified
> xset:  unable to open display ":0.0"

OK, that "unable to open display ":0.0" is the key to that one.  That's an
X error seen when an X app can't find the X display to use.  Perhaps you
were trying to do it as a different user, or from a text console, not a
terminal window (such as konsole) inside of X/KDE itself?

Try it with X and kde running, as the user the kde session is running as,
in a konsole or similar window.

Or set and export the DISPLAY environmental variable as appropriate,
probably to ":0" unless you're doing something fancy.

DISPLAY=":0" xset q

(Normally, within KDE the DISPLAY variable should be set/exported
automatically.  Try entering "echo $DISPLAY" (w/o the quotes) in a konsole
window and see.)

Or use xset's -display option, as so:

xset -display :0 q

If X is running and you're running as the same user in X, that /should/
work.  If it doesn't, there's something else more complex happening.