[kde-linux] KDE 4 and monitor powering off.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:09:57 UTC 2010

> Dale posted on Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:06:21 -0600 as excerpted:
>

>> I seem to have worked through one problem, editing files as root, so I'm
>> on to the next one.  My monitor powers off after about 20 minutes or so.
>>   It doesn't matter what is running, it just goes from on to completely
>> off.  I have went to the settings thing, then Advanced then Power
>> Management and actually just plain turned off everything I could find.
>>   About 20 minutes later, monitor turns off.
>>
> There's a number of places this can be controlled.  The setting is really
> an xorg setting, so it can be set in xorg.conf, if you have one, and
> there's probably some default for those that don't.  For on-demand
> setting, xset (run in a konsole or other terminal window) is the xorg
> solution.  Run it with no parameters to have it spit out the possible
> parameters, or with q, to have it spit out current settings.  You'll be
> looking at/for the dpms settings.  Of course, you can setup an xset script
> to run at kde start, if desired.
>
> In kde, I think it's power-devil that sets that.  But on Gentoo, that's a
> USE flag, IIRC, so you may not have it or the associated kcontrol module.
> You can check in kcontrol, under advanced user settings, hardware, and see
> if power-devil is listed.  Here, all I have is hal listed, but I
> purposefully didn't merge power-devil, etc.  And I don't have screensavers
> merged either, which might have the setting as well.  Anyway, I don't see
> a GUI way to set display standby and power-off settings.

I don't appear to be doing something correctly here.  I typed in "xset
q" and "xset -q" but I get a error.  I looked at the man page and the
option is there but it's not working for some reason.  This is what I got:

root at smoker ~ # man xset
root at smoker ~ # xset q
No protocol specified
xset:  unable to open display ":0.0"
root at smoker ~ # xset -q
No protocol specified
xset:  unable to open display ":0.0"
root at smoker ~ # man xset
root at smoker ~ # xset
xset      xsetroot
root at smoker ~ # xset Q
No protocol specified
xset:  unable to open display ":0.0"
root at smoker ~ # xset q
No protocol specified
xset:  unable to open display ":0.0"
root at smoker ~ # xset -q
No protocol specified
xset:  unable to open display ":0.0"
root at smoker ~ #

As you can see, I was testing some options there.  lol  I wish this
would work like it did in KDE 3.  It was really simple.  Maybe this will
get there tho.

Thoughts?

Dale

:-)  :-)