[kde-linux] Time Zone settings etc.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 24 12:37:31 UTC 2010

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 February 2010 16:09:36 Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
>> Acquiring elevated priviledges is now handled through KAuth which in
> turn
>> performs priviledged actions through policykit or polkit (always forget
>> which one is the current one and which one the future one).
>>
>> Maybe one of these is missing in your build.
>>

> Hi Kevin,
>
> indeed, I had'nt build any polkit's or policykits. But I need a little help to
> do that:
> I could download polkit-qt and polkit-qt-1 from
> svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/kdesupport/polkit-qt
> However, both cmakes ask for a lot of packages like polkit-agent-1,
> polkit-gobject-1,polkit-dbus,polkit-grant. I could not find this packages
> googling.
>
> Some questions:
> 1.) do I need polkit-qt _and_ polkit-qt-1 or are they alternatives ?
> what are the differences to policy kit
> 2.) where can I download all the packages I need ?
> 3.) do the BLFS-Book instructions (  svn-20100221 ) for polkit-0.94,
> PolicyKit-0.9 applay for KDE-4.4.0 ? I mean, could I proceed according ?
>
> Sorry if I am making nasty questions; I am not a distributor, but I think
> the experiences of a "scratch" man could also be interesting for the
> developers.
>
> Thank you very much. Perhaps James could assist me also a little

Hi.  Well James has been having a lot of trouble trying to keep the
tutorial up to date.  The information simply doesn't seem to be
available from KDE.  As I said before, my patience is wearing thin, but
I am still at it.  Hope the situation improves before I give it up. :-D

IIUC, KDE is switching from the old PolicyKit to the new PolKit.  So,
for now, you probably need the Qt and KDE bindings for both of them.  To
install both of these, you should have this list of stuff installed:

DBus
DBus-Glib
HAL
HAL-Info
PolicyKit
EggDBus
polkit
ConsoleKit

Those should contain the stuff you reported as not being found -- at
least KDESupport TRUNK built OK for me except for the one issue (see
below) which was not related to Policy Kit

The pre-release (SVN) BLFS book should have complete instructions for
installing these:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/

Configuration does seem to be an issue and I have added a short tutorial
on how to configure D-Bus for KDE:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Tutorials/D-Bus/Configuration

which I have not finished.  I think that everything except for
installing multiple versions of KDE-4 is complete.

Also note that if you are installing the whole TRUNK KDESupport that
Strigi will not build against the FFMPEG installed as per the SVN BLFS
book so apply the patch in dependencies page:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS#TRUNK

HELP: Does anyone know what/which FFMPEG is needed to be compatible with
the Strigi in TRUNK KDESupport?

This is certainly the disadvantage of having to use TRUNK rather than
stable releases.  We really need stable releases -- or at least Beta
releases like Phonon-4.4Beta1 (4.3.80).

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch