[kde-linux] Time Zone settings etc.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 24 04:53:39 UTC 2010

David Jarvie wrote:
> On Tue, February 23, 2010 4:09 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> Hi Edgar,
>>
>> On Tuesday, 2010-02-23, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am working with KDE-4.4.0, self compiled ( "Scratch" ).
>>> Well, I need to change eg. the timezone, but "system
>>> settings" does not allow me to change them: "you are not
>>> allowed to save the configuration".
>>>
>>> Help: what shall I do to recover administrator rights ?  Even
>>> using "kdesu systemsettings" I am not allowed to do
>>> anything  :-(
>>> That is a little too much safety in a closed shop.
>> I am on KDE SC 4.3.4 from Debian packages so this is just a guess based on
>> the
>> release annoucement of KDE SC 4.4.
>>
>> Acquiring elevated priviledges is now handled through KAuth which in turn
>> performs priviledged actions through policykit or polkit (always forget
>> which
>> one is the current one and which one the future one).
>>
>> Maybe one of these is missing in your build.
>
> If you used the kdesupport-for-4.4 tag from SVN, it contains too old a
> version of polkit-qt and polkit-qt-1 - you need to use the versions from
> kdesupport in SVN trunk.

Reading my own instructions:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS#KDE-4.4

"PolKit-Qt is the wrong version

use this tarball:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/apps/KDE4.x/admin/polkit-qt-0.9.3.tar.bz2"

Will that take care of the "PolKit-Qt" issue?

Then there is the PolKit-Qt-1" question.  Do you know where I could
download: "PolKit-Qt-1-0.95.2"?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch