[kde-linux] Dolphin opening a text file as root with Kwrite.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 22 10:42:37 UTC 2010

On Monday 22 February 2010 02:37:27 Dale wrote:
> >> So, how can I make this work on a more permanent basis.
> >
> > Well, that is the question, isn't it?  When you run KDESU, it is
> > supposed to automatically initialize your root session.  So, your
> > question comes down to why it isn't working.  I have to tell you that I
> > don't know.  If you are using a distro, it is possible that this is a
> > distro specific problem.
>
> Do you know which package is failing?  I don't want to file a roach
> report against the wrong package.  They will just close the thing and
> let the problem hang out there in the wind.  I'm using Gentoo by the way.

I don't know how Gentoo handle this, but KDE bugs are changed to the correct
component if you get a wrong one.  I've just seen a message this morning that
one of mine had been changed in that way.

> I found a workaround tho.  I set up konqueror to work the same as it
> does in KDE 3 and it works just fine.  It may break next week but it is
> working for now.  Heck, I been in KDE 4 since my last post on here.
> Just trying to muddle my way around and figure where the heck they hid
> stuff.  lol

Be aware that konqueror and dolphin share a great deal of code.  I would
expect that if you get something as you like in one of them it should also
work in the other one.

> My biggest pet peave at the moment is the desktop slide show.  Every
> time I click on something it wants to go "find" some new images.  You
> have to understand that I have a boat load of pics on this thing.  I get
> camera happy sometimes.  I wish it had a button for my to click when *I*
> want it to go dig for new pics.  Of course, if it could look for pics
> AND let me do other things at the same time, it wouldn't be so bad.
> Maybe that is a up coming "feature".  lol

I have desktop slideshow on this laptop, under Fedora, and don't have such a
problem.  I think it's back to James to tell you what to look for.

KDE Community Working Group