[kde-linux] Problems with Nepomuk

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 22:45:51 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 February 2010 07:30:05 Duncan wrote:

> > Nepomuk was not needed in prior kde versions, like 4.3.4. Is this
> > perhaps a bug ?
>
> No, this isn't a bug.  Nepomuk and etc are used for kaddress book in 4.4,
> and will be used in kmail as well for 4.5.  Those are both kdepim, so
> there you go.
>
> Let's see what the Gentoo package says for nepomuk sources...
>
> First... the version I have installed, as with kde itself, is now 4.4.0.
> It appears the version stays in sync with kde itself, so there's 4.3.x
> versions and 4.4.0 in the Gentoo tree now.
>
> It says the KMName (kde-module name, the big multi-package kde tarball
> from which it pulls the package in question, nepomuk here) is
> kdebase-runtime.  So try installing that before you try kdepim.
>
> FWIW, nepomuk 4.4.0 depends on >=strigi-0.6.3 (with the dbus and qt4
> Gentoo USE flags enabled, which would mean those options enabled when
> compiling strigi), >= soprano-2.3.70 (with
> USE=dbus,raptor,redland,virtuoso), and kdelibs (with USE=semantic-
> desktop).  So if you don't have those installed (with the associated
> options), be sure to install them first.
>
> Strigi's source is here (PN=package name, P=package name and version):
> http://www.vandenoever.info/software/${PN}/${P}.tar.bz2
>
> Soprano you probably have installed already as it was needed for earlier
> kde4s.  Be sure you have at least 2.3.73, 2.4.0 has issues, but they are
> fixed in 2.4.0.1.
>
> You'll almost certainly want virtuoso as the main soprano and akonadi
> backend, now, as it's fast.  You'll want it installed before soprano.
> Sources are on sourceforge.  I have 2.6.1 installed here.
>
> redland and raptor were available for earlier kde4, tho they may not have
> been required.  I have redland 1.0.10 (gentoo revision r2, numbering
> starts at zero so that's the second Gentoo revision beyond the original
> 1.0.10) and raptor 1.4.20.  Sources for both are at (P=package name and
> version, so the below applies to both):
> http://download.librdf.org/source/${P}.tar.gz

Hi Duncan,

We were all the time working on Kdepim along with your instructions, so it
took a while until my answer ! Thank you very much for your instructions,
clear and clean. We now are running the KDE-4.4.0 version ( with Kdepim of
course ). I am going to upgrade the KDE-4.4 wiki in the next time, and I am
going also to write explicitly what we did, closing maybe this issue.
Again, thank you very much, also to James Tyrer for some comments on redland,
raptor etc.
Edgar