[kde-linux] Problems with Nepomuk

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Feb 12 06:30:05 UTC 2010

Dr. Edgar Alwers posted on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:08:48 +0100 as excerpted:

> we are building the new 4.4 release and experiencing some problems with
> it. Making kdepims. cmake delivers
> quote
> --------------------
> -- The following REQUIRED packages could NOT be located on your system.
> -- You must install these packages before continuing.

>    * Nepomuk  <http://www.kde.org>
>      The Nepomuk libraries
>      Nepomuk extends the search and tagging functionalities in KMail and
> Akonadi
> --------------------
> unquote
>
> Well, it is more or less impossible to get the "Nepomuk libraries". The
> given address www.kde.org talks a lot about nepomuk but gives no one
> download indication.

> As kdepims is one of the major packages of KDE, we are facing a problem.

> Nepomuk was not needed in prior kde versions, like 4.3.4. Is this
> perhaps a bug ?

No, this isn't a bug.  Nepomuk and etc are used for kaddress book in 4.4,
and will be used in kmail as well for 4.5.  Those are both kdepim, so
there you go.

Let's see what the Gentoo package says for nepomuk sources...

First... the version I have installed, as with kde itself, is now 4.4.0.
It appears the version stays in sync with kde itself, so there's 4.3.x
versions and 4.4.0 in the Gentoo tree now.

It says the KMName (kde-module name, the big multi-package kde tarball
from which it pulls the package in question, nepomuk here) is
kdebase-runtime.  So try installing that before you try kdepim.

FWIW, nepomuk 4.4.0 depends on >=strigi-0.6.3 (with the dbus and qt4
Gentoo USE flags enabled, which would mean those options enabled when
compiling strigi), >= soprano-2.3.70 (with
USE=dbus,raptor,redland,virtuoso), and kdelibs (with USE=semantic-
desktop).  So if you don't have those installed (with the associated
options), be sure to install them first.

Strigi's source is here (PN=package name, P=package name and version):
http://www.vandenoever.info/software/${PN}/${P}.tar.bz2

Soprano you probably have installed already as it was needed for earlier
kde4s.  Be sure you have at least 2.3.73, 2.4.0 has issues, but they are
fixed in 2.4.0.1.

You'll almost certainly want virtuoso as the main soprano and akonadi
backend, now, as it's fast.  You'll want it installed before soprano.
Sources are on sourceforge.  I have 2.6.1 installed here.

redland and raptor were available for earlier kde4, tho they may not have
been required.  I have redland 1.0.10 (gentoo revision r2, numbering
starts at zero so that's the second Gentoo revision beyond the original
1.0.10) and raptor 1.4.20.  Sources for both are at (P=package name and
version, so the below applies to both):
http://download.librdf.org/source/${P}.tar.gz