[kde-linux] losing icons

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 11:18:36 UTC 2010

> Jerome Yuzyk posted on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 23:08:44 -0700 as excerpted:
>

>> I am running KDE 3.5.10 on Fedora 8. Lately, I have been losing icons
>> here and there. Mostly web favicons in my Konquiror Bookmarks list and
>> toolbars, and they come back sometimes. But this evening the Kopete icon
>> in the System Tray is gone. Kopete is still there, but there's a blank
>> space. My system has been up over 400 days - could that be it? Or
>> symptom of a larger looming problem?
>>
> That sounds like a slow xorg resource leak.  You mention a 400 day
> uptime.  Is KDE/X up for long periods or do you shut X down and return to
> the command prompt sometimes?  That's what I'd do here, quit and restart X
> and kde.  That way you don't lose your uptime since it's only X that
> you're quitting and restarting, not the entire system.
>
> FWIW, you're lucky.  Linux, like any good *ix, has the potential for multi-
> hundred-day uptimes.  However, X itself is often far less stable than
> that, especially with live git sources graphics drivers like I'm currently
> running, as the OpenGL support for my card is so new there's simply no
> releases available with it, yet.  X crashes regularly on me, and being
> what it is, it unfortunately takes the rest of the system with it, so no
> long uptimes here!  (Not that they get anywhere near that long anyway, as
> I like running live git kernels from about rc2 onward, and thus git pull
> the kernel, compile and install the new version, and reboot to test it,
> quite regularly.)

I agree that Linux, as far as the basic system, is designed for long
uptimes.  The GUI may not tho.  I have went a week or two without
logging out but it was using a lot of memory especially since I was
working with images a lot.

My fix is to go single user, clear out processes that are dead, go back
to regular user level and log back in.  It works well.  May be worth a try.

Dale

:-)  :-)