[kde-linux] Migration from Grub-0.97 to 1.97

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Mon Feb 8 22:44:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a running system, KDE-4.3.4, self built, Linux From Scratch, Kernel
2.6.32.2, beeing booted with Grub-0.97. Menu.lst is located on a booting
partition /dev/sda8. I have three system running, an older kde-3.5 and a
windows-xp one.

Question: are there some instructions, how to migrate to grub-1.97 ? I
compiled it, I did some grub-mkconfig and so on. But, frankly speaking, I am
afraid. What should I exactly do to migrate from my /usr/sbin/grub with
menu.lst to the new grub2 ? I found instructions e.g. from KUbunto, but they
are good for changes like adding another partition, etc. I did not found
"migration" instructions, and I would not like if suddently could not more
boot my system.
Any help ?
Thanks,
Edgar