[kde-linux] Mouse button/wheel

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Feb 8 19:42:54 UTC 2010

brian posted on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:14:53 -0500 as excerpted:

> I'm using KDE 4.3 on Kubuntu 64-bit, and have a Microsoft optical
> Intellimouse, one of those with a combined centre button and wheel. It's
> an absolute PITA, because while I'm used to using the mouse wheel to
> scroll, I'm clumsy enough that I unintentionally do a middle click at
> regular intervals, and that has a whole heap of unwanted effects,
> depending on the program in use. In my days of using a certain other
> operating system, I could just set the centre button to do nothing,
> problem solved.
>
> Is there any way to assign a null action to the centre button, and so
> lose at least some of the unintentional input?

Yes, but I don't believe KDE controls that.  You'd edit the xorg evdev or
mouse driver config, either in xorg.conf, or your hal/devicekit config,
depending on whether you have xorg input hotplugging enabled or not.  (hal
is being deprecated for hotplugging, but I believe it's still used in
currently released distributions.  The upcoming round of first-half
distribution updates may switch to devicekit or whatever, or it may be in
the second-half updates later this year.  But it's always possible to
disable xorg input hotplugging entirely and go the traditional
/etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration route, particularly if you already have a
working version (xorg doesn't require a config file for simple-case
configs these days, tho it's still common if you're running dual monitors
or other such) so aren't building one from scratch.  See the xorg.conf
section 5 manpage for more.)