[kde-linux] NetworkManager Applet

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 7 05:44:04 UTC 2010

I think that I now have D-Bus configured correctly and the
NetworkManager Applet has showed up in my system tray.

However ... .  Almost the same as "Yes, but ... ."

It will start my DSL modem connected with eth0.  But, when I do this, it
messes up KDE-4.  I think that this is because the hostname is changed.
   I think that it (dhcppc0) is the host-name of my modem, but don't
know for sure.

I have set:

	supersede host-name localhost;

in:

	/etc/dhclient.conf

Didn't help, but it continues to work fine from the command line in a VT.

This is clearly the: 'I really hate it when this happens' department.
NetworkManager is supposed to make things just work, but there is no
configuration documentation that I can find and I find no place in the
GUI widget to set the host-name.  So, I do it the hard way, which is
easier, I edited the: "dhclient.conf" file by hand and use the command
line to start my DHCP client (dhclient).

Any help will be appreciated.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch