[kde-linux] Triple or Quad displays with KDE4?

Allistar allistar.m at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 01:05:55 UTC 2010

Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2010/02/03 12:48 (GMT+1300) Allistar composed:
>
>>   Does anyone have a triple or quad head setup with KDE4? The key is that
>>   it
>> needs to be accelerated so full 3D effects can be had on all displays.
>
>>   I have this working in KDE3.5.10 by having two KDE instances running,
>>   and
>> it works fine. I have two Nvidia cards, one uses TwinView to present a
>> single screen to X, and the other runs in a separate window manager
>> instance. This is not possible in KDE4 as you cannot run more than one
>> instance of KDE4 on a single X session.
>
>>   Is there anyway around this limitation while still running KDE4 on all
>> monitors?
>
> Have you tried running as many X sessions as displays? Using only a single
> display and user-login-specific xorg.conf files, I often run 2 at once,
> sometimes 3 or more.

I haven't tried that, no.

How does the sharing of mouse/keyboard work when multiple X sessions are
running? Also, would I still be able to move the mouse seemlessly between
them and drag and drop icons (but not windows) between them?

I'm hoping there is some way to get an accelerated triple head setup working
with KDE4 as it's one of the only things holding me back on 3.5.10.