[kde-linux] Installing KDE-4.5

Trent Shea trentshea at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:08:00 UTC 2010

Hi James,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM, James Tyrer <> wrote:
>  There appears to a problem with the build system.  You must set the
> environment variable KDEDIRS to the location where you are installing
> (e.g. /opt/KDE-4.5) or it will not build correctly.  When looking for:
> "include" and "lib" directories for KDE, CMake ignores
> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX (which should be the first base directory to search
> in) and the search paths: CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH & CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH and
> uses KDEDIRS (as a based directory) first.  Since KDEDIRS is a run time
> environment variable -- not a build variable, this would appear to be a
> serious bug, but setting it is a workaround.

I did not face this problem. My last build was 1162276 from the 4.5
branch, around August 10th. Apart from a few new dependencies I didn't
run into any problems building.

Environment:
set|grep -i kde
set|grep PATH
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/home/shared/bin:/opt/qt/bin:/media/data.castra/source/projects/google/android/android-sdk-linux_86/tools:/opt/jdk1.5.0_22/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/qt/lib/pkgconfig

cmake variables:
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
-DPHONON_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/kde/include
-DPHONON_LIBRARY=/opt/kde/lib/libphonon.so

A couple off topic notes: I needed to comment out GreeterUID=kdm in
/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and I've had kwin problems (I can
trigger the crash every time: Desktop Effects, All Effects tab -
uncheck something and recheck it and hit apply kwin crashes, alt f2
kwin --replace enter enter recovers...this is with an intel graphics
chip and blur disabled).

Anyhow, I've waited long enough to see that my current build has made
it past kdelibs and kwebkitpart, kdepimlibs and is 20% into kdebase.

--
Regards,
Trent Shea.