[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 16 14:32:53 UTC 2010

  On 08/14/10 13:16, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 04:29:17 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan<1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>  wrote:
>
>>> James said
>>> So, I am totally exasperated and about to give up on KDE.
>> FWIW, I would really recommend that you try Gentoo.  They have a very
>> active (and rather large, including several community contributors for the
>> kde overlay) kde team, you do all the same building from source you do
>> with LFS, and have all the same control.
>
>> You'd very likely find a place on the gentoo/kde team too, if you wanted,
>> giving you all the kde build tweaking and dependency validating you
>> wanted, if desired.
>>
>   Please, please, James, dont do it !!
>
> The last thing we need is another excellent expert joining a distro, no matter what distro it is !
> What we need are several really experts, no afiliated to distros and not beeing paid by them. We need independant persons like James, who take the effort to build a system like the new 4.5.0 one, looking exactly for those things not working !! I had a very nice discussion with some KDE developers.( if you cannot compile it, buy it ) Either the new package can be build by somebody like James, much better by a qualified amateur ) or the package or the instructions or both are wrong ! So simple !
>
> No doubt that a distro, with all the direct contacts to the developers will soon or later come down with the solution of the problems. But for a very long time that has not been the idea behind Linux !
Well, having removed my foot from my mouth.  Who wrote those messages?
Everywhere else:

     Found Version X, version Y (is) required

is an error message.  At least in English, if people leave out verbs,
you tend to read as though they were there.

IAC, having use a hack to get Build LibDBusMenu-Qt-0.3.0 to build,

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS#Build_LibDBusMenu-Qt

I suppose that a patch would be more elegant, but the error was not
immediately apparent

I have KDELibs-4.5 BRANCH building as a background job.  That will take
a while.

LibDBusMenu-Qt-0.3.5 builds correctly, but I don't know if it, or the
other newer versions will work.

Was the message in: "kdelibs/cmake/modules/FindDBusMenuQt.cmake" in
error or does KDE require an older version as it does with other
dependencies?

Do you understand that attitude of the developers that apparently don't
want build instructions available?  At least they would rather not have
them than help we with the information needed to do it.

I will continue to try to do this (for now), but it is not simple when
the information is not published on a web page.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch