[kde-linux] konsole/bash/htop use bold characters and make characters unreadables

christophe christophe.dr at free.fr
Sun Aug 15 12:02:13 UTC 2010

Hello,

i have been searching a lot for a solution for this problem and posted 2
threads in opensuse forum but couldn't find a solution.
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/install-boot-login/443914-11-3-64b-nvidia-kde4-font-color-bug-konsole.html
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/applications/443975-11-3-kde4-how-prevent-konsole-htop-bash-use-bold-character.html
On opensuse 11.3, i use kde 4.4 with nvidia driver, and desktop effects are
activated.
I love to have htop runing on my desktop all the time so that i can keep an
eye on what's going on. And i love to use the Fixed [Misc] font in the
minimum size available so that i can see the maximum of information in the
same window. I use font size 3 for this Fixed [Misc] font .
It looks like every word in the normal terminal color is displayed correctly
in the right font size, but some colored characters are not readable because
it is displayed in a bigger font size.
But for some unknown reasons konsole wants to display some chracaters and some
words in bold . Since this font doesn't exist in size 3 in bold, it displays
the bold characters in size 7, which is the smallest available bold size for
this font set (Fixed [Misc]) . It makes any of these bold characters
unreadable as they are too large compared to the room they have to be
displayed.

It used to be displayed very correctly in opensuse 11.1 / kde 3.5.10 . NB : it
doesn't try to use some bold characters to display some coloured
characters/words .

I have tried some hacks, like making some fake bold fonts
in /usr/share/fonts/misc/ but to no avail , or maybe i didn't make it
correctly, since i am not an expert in fonts.

I would like to attach a screenshot to explain what i mean, but i don't know
if my message will be rejected with an attachment.

Is there a way to prevent konsole/bash/htop to use bold characters where it is
not necessary ?
Maybe is there a way to solve this problem ?

Thanks for your help.

--
christophe