[kde-linux] Sound not until the 2. login

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 14 17:43:19 UTC 2010

  On 08/13/10 09:41, Harald Schöngart wrote:
> Some days ago a posted this in the german KDE group, but apparently the
> group is not very frequented (at least with this kind of problems).
> So, I'll have a try with you.
>
> Recently I get a notification saying with each system start:
>
> 	Phonon: The KDE #Multimedia-System
> 	The audio playing equipment " HDA Intel (STAC92xx analog)"
> 	does'nt work. It is replaced by "default".
>
> or sometimes
>
> 	Phonon: The KDE #Multimedia-System
> 	Change to audio playing equipment "" which now is available and
> 	features a higher prority.
>
> effecting that the sound of system does not run and kmix doesn't start
> (completely).
>
> I activated the well working entry "HDA Intel (STAC92xx analog)"
> in the KDE Multimedia-settings for all applications and pushed it on the
> top. But nothing didn't change.
>
> If I terminate KDE and login again, everything works completely without
> problems: No error message, Kmix runs, sound functions.
>
> I can't call it really bad, but it's not that good neither...
>
> Someone has an idea to get it run a little bit smoother?
>
> Regards from Hamburg
> Harald
>
> My system:
> Mandriva 2010.1, KDE 4.4.3, xine Backend 0.2.60, GStreamer 0.1

Other people have reported this in the past.  Probably not with 4.4.

Your system seems confused.  I wouldn't worry about the error messages
and I don't really know if they are related to your problem.

What else do you have listed in the System Settings -> Multimedia page.
IIRC this has been changed quite a lot.  I have KDE-4.4.5 installed and
it doesn't list the name of my hardware driver any more, all it says is:

     ALSA default output
     Esound (ESD)
     OSS default output

If you have "ALSA default output" listed, I would try moving it to the top.

Note that "OSS default output" is the ALSA emulator so it should be last
since only obsolete programs will need it.

Does checking the box for: "Show advanced devices" do anything.

There have been reports of strange problems by users that have
PulseAudio installed.  Do you have that on the list, or is it installed?

This may all be irrelevant, but it is all that I can think of.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch