[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 13 13:10:09 UTC 2010

  Well, I thought that I would give it another try, but I have to wonder
if the developers are incompetent, if they are lazy people that just
don't care, or if there is some other lame excuse.  But, then I realized
that the developers have built something from source, weren't they
building TRUNK that was branched to make KDE-4.5 BRANCH?  So, what is
the problem.  Why are there some really stupid mistakes in the build
system for the KDE-4.5 BRANCH -- the developers couldn't have built with
them, so what is the deal.

</rant>

So, I am trying to build KDELibs-4.5 and the CMake output has some
interesting things in it:

-- Found Phonon: /opt/KDE-4.5/include  (found version "4.4.2", required
is "4.3.80")

I installed KDESupport-for-4.5 so I should have the correct version!

-- Found SharedDesktopOntologies: /opt/KDE-4.4/share/ontology  (found
version "0.5.50", required is "0.4")

This isn't in KDESupport-for-4.5 but KDE-4.4 builds against the same
version; it appears that 4.4 doesn't check the version.

-- Could NOT find DocBook XML DTDs (v4.2)  (missing:
DOCBOOKXML_CURRENTDTD_DIR)

Does KDE really require the older version 4.2 or is this the same type
of problem as above since I have 4.5 installed?  But, I can look up in
the archives of Linux From Scratch and install the old ones if
necessary, but I have no such problem building KDE-4.4.

I realize that I am a perfectionist and I hope that people will realize
that you have to take that into consideration when you receive criticize
from one.  That said, it appears to me that there is no excuse for these
stupid errors.  If you are going to produce a product (free or not) you
need to have enough personal responsibility to do the necessary TQM
testing to see that such mistakes do not happen.

So, I am totally exasperated and about to give up on KDE.

I realize that I have not finished the tutorial in TechBase on how to
upgrade.  This is basically because I have not done it myself yet and I
would not even dream of posting instructions that I have not tried
myself.  I don't know, I might be doing better next week, but I do need
to know if these things are going to be fixed -- and there may be more
in the other modules -- or if my instructions need to include patches
for the build system to make it work.

Thanks for listening and understanding my frustration.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch