[kde-linux] Contacts in KDE 4.4.4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 11 12:01:07 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 11 August 2010 12:26:17 Admin wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 August 2010 19:22:25 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 August 2010 08:41:08 Admin wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Using openSUSE 11.2 and having updated (unfortunately) to KDE 4.4.4 I
> > > am wondering where certain functions went.
> > >
> > > Under 4.3 there used to be a right click, when clicking on a email
> > > address, "open in address book".
> > >
> > > Does anybody know where this function went? Or how to activate it?
> > >
> > > Also, under 4.4.4, how are distribution lists handled. They seem to
> > > have disappeared. I cannot seem to import a single distribution list
> > > created under kde 4.3. What, or how to do?
> >
> > I don't use OpenSUSE but the function was there all through 4.4 for me
> > and is still there in 4.5
> >
> > Anne
>
> I can add to Contacts but not "open contact in address book" which under
> 4.3 opened an existing contact/email in the address book/Contacts.
>
> In fact an email address which is already in Contacts will be added again
> as a duplicate.
>
> The link Jim has provided
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook_4.4
>
> Also states that distribution list is not yet released.
>
> Quote:
> Distribution Lists - the migration tool for your existing distribution
> lists is not yet released. It is work-in-progress. Where appropriate you
> can create a new Group - Groups will replace Distribution Lists. Auto
> completion makes it quite easy to add entries to the group. In KDE SC <=
> 4.4.2 you can't use the group quite like a distribution list, typing the
> name and expecting it to be expanded into a list of names. You can,
> though, copy and paste the list of names from the right-hand panel.
> Unquote:

I wrote that months ago.  It was true when 4.4 was first released.  The
developer then backported the code necessary for it to work.  However, the
page is not updated because not all distros included the backport, at least
for some considerable time.

In fact I have been using Groups as distribution lists for around 3 months, at
a guess.

KDE Community Working Group