[kde-linux] Different behavior between console and taskbar invocation?

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Wed Aug 11 06:11:19 UTC 2010

          List, I’m curious why Thunderbird and Firefox invoke from my
          taskbar with a “bouncing” icon but a terminal invocation seems
          to be “immediate”?

          I have opensuse 11.2, kde 4.3.1 and TB 3.0.3 and FF 3.6.6. The
          TB forum does not think this behavior is related to TB or FF.
          Maybe it is also not related to kde.

          The minute long “bouncing” icon gives the impression that the
          application is looking for something it can't find. Terminal
          invocation doesn't write anything to the terminal. Adding the
          -jsconsole to the terminal invocation brings up an empty java
          console.

          One environmental matter may play a role in this behavior.
          Both apps are Mozilla tarballs that I untarred as root in my
          /usr1 partition. Each app unpacked with permission for a user
          to execute it from /usr1.

          Perhaps execution from a taskbar icon has different privileges
          than a user terminal execution. Perhaps there is something in
          the /usr1 TB and FF directories that executes on invocation
          which reacts differently to the terminal and the taskbar.

          Any thoughts regarding this behavior? Frank K