[kde-linux] Akonadi problems

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Apr 17 09:20:14 UTC 2010

On Saturday, 2010-04-17, lars.koraeus at gmail.com wrote:

> I do hope that the adonadi people will fix this problem. It would be a a
>  very bad solution if they think they can hijack other demons. The mysqld
>  is not there for KDE sole purpose. If KDE try to stop mysql it is the same
>  as never to start KDE at all but use something else.

By default Akonadi uses its own MySQL instance, thus not interfering with
anything else.

When configured to use an external instance, e.g. a system wide MySQL
instance, it will neither attempt start not stop of that instance.
Which is why this option is not the default since it requires some other
start/stop mechanism be setup and working correctly, e.g. system runlevel
script.

One can basically think of the default setup like MySQL/Embedded, where the
MySQL code is linked into the application and doing the database work in the
main process.
This option has actually been desired but had to be dropped due to
MySQL/Embedded not supporting any backend with transaction support (at least
at the time of last evaluation).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring