[kde-linux] KDE make file system busy

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Apr 4 15:40:28 UTC 2010

On Sunday, 2010-04-04, lars.koraeus at gmail.com wrote:
> I have now tried to look closer into my problem.
>
> It seams that KDE use the Documents as the default current working
>  directory for all apps.
> That's explains why every application open this.

I just checked here and I also see lots of processes using my document
directory as their current working directory.
Interestingly some process have $HOME as their working directory, notably
KDE's main start script "startkde"

It looks like some process changes the session's working directory at some
stage of KDE's session startup.

> When are those paths used and by whom? IE open office do not use it.

I think those are some kind of freedesktop.org specification for common user
directories

> I would suggest that KDE define its working directory separately and not
>  just use the Documents for this or use the home directory as default.

Probably some kind of well intended but ill behaving workaround for
applications not yet following the spec, i.e. those which use their home
directory as the document path, to provide more consistence.

If so this should probably be deactivatable. It might actually be but this is
the first time I've read about it.

I'll see if I can find some more details on this.

In the meantime it can't hurt to file a bug report for this.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring