[kde-linux] KDE make file system busy

lars.koraeus at gmail.com lars.koraeus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 07:23:44 UTC 2010

I am running openSUSE 11.2.
KDE makes a lot of KDE apps and also other as yast, openoffice etc lock a file
system so I not can unmount it.

All our computers have a link from their ~/Documents, ~/Downloads etc to
common document, download, etc  ... partitions. This is because we are working
with several distros/versions and always want our documents/downloads at hand.

However for some reasons I do not understand, KDE makes apps locking the
Documents mount points so this partition not can be unmounted. This is a KDE
behaviour and I have not the same problem with other window managers.

Each user directory has a link like
Documents -> /local/Documents/$USER

/local/Documents is a mount point for a local/remote partition.
lsof shows that when running KDE the  /local/Documents/ is kept open and makes
the file system busy. Does this also imply that there MUST be a directory
called Documents if you are to run KDE? The other linked file systems are not
affected. I have not had time to test this yet. Because it does not lock
/usr/Documents/user which would be more understandable.

Is this a bug or is it intentionally?
If it is intentionally, what is the reason for this behaviour?

Lars