[kde-linux] KAuth, Date and Time, System Settings, Bug found.

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 22:59:37 UTC 2010

Hi James,

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 21:19:16 James Tyrer wrote:
> Well after considerable effort, I believe I have found the problem and
> it is a KDE bug.
>
> I then reinstalled it as: "/usr/KDE-4.4" with:

I am going to study a little your results. I still would very much like to
preserve the alternative to install either in /usr or in /opt/kde4, as advised
by the linux-from-scratch people, as the last method has certain advantages (
and I have done my installation this way ;-)  ). It seems neccessary also to
inform e.g. Bruce Dubbs ( I am going to do this )

Perhaps the contribution of  Randy McMurchy
" I'm doing a GNOME build (slowly) in /opt/gnome and I have
/opt/gnome/share/polkit-1/actions"
shows a possibility.

> It doesn't work correctly.  When I try to change the date (to test it),
> the: "Authenticate" dialog appears:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/KDE-4/snapshot011.png

The first time I saw this dialog !! Thanks

Still I think that the actual policy of KDE is wrong. For a single user on an
island, all this security issues are superflous. For users in corporate
networks, the security can and will be provided by the IT administrator of the
company. And for in-between users, each one should be able to decide, how much
security he wants. This is freedom ! But we have to live with it.

Thank you very much for your intensive work !

Edgar