[kde-linux] KAuth, Date and Time, System Settings, Bug found.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Apr 1 02:40:40 UTC 2010

James Tyrer posted on Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:19:16 -0700 as excerpted:

> First, I reinstalled KDE-4.4 BRANCH as: "/usr" which I do not like to do
> because it is difficult to hunt down orphaned files and configurations
> after updates.
>
> I determined that setting the date or time was working correctly with
> authentication using KAuth.
>
> I then reinstalled it as: "/usr/KDE-4.4" with:

FWIW, altho gentoo/kde has an option to "slot" kde4 using the "kdeprefix"
USE flag, which does pretty much what you just did, there, so multiple
versions can be installed side-by-side, they STRONGLY recommend against it
and USE=kdeprefix is in fact masked, so a user must unmasked it (in
addition to setting it) to get the kde ebuilds to use it.

The reason given is that various stuff breaks when it's not installed in
/usr.  They got tired of tracking down the bugs and decided it was a
generally hopeless process, thus they have the kdeprefix USE flag option
but strongly recommend against it and mask it, so people have no chance of
enabling it without deliberately going out of their way to unmask it.  The
general policy in that case is one of "If it breaks, you get to keep the
pieces."

Until now I didn't know what sort of breakage they were talking about.
This must be just one of however many examples.  So thanks for providing
it, and yes, I can confirm that Gentoo at least, has verified enough
issues with non-standard install locations that while they make it an
option, it's deliberately difficult to enable, and specifically
unsupported if people choose to enable it.