[kde-linux] Klipper: where have all the actions gone?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 30 12:42:58 UTC 2009

Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:11:11 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> The action that asked if I wanted to open a copied URL stopped working
>> so, I checked the Klipper configuration.  Well in the Actions section,
>> the Action List window is empty.  I tried resetting my Klipper
>> configuration (closed my session and removed my apps/klipper directory
>> and the config/klipperrc file) didn't help.  Opened my KDE-4 test user
>> and the same thing: no Actions.
>>
>> Any suggestions?  Or, theories?
>
> Klipper, like much of kde4, doesn't seem to work as well as the kde3
> version did.  I had my settings disappear, and basically copied over and
> manually edited as appropriate the config file from the 3.5 version,
> which I still had elsewhere.  There were a bunch of actions that weren't
> showing up even tho they were still in the config file, others had been
> overwritten by default actions, etc.
>
> FWIW, one thing I figured out about kde years ago.  It's worth keeping a
> copy of the entire ~/.kde (or whatever, may be ~/.kde4 in some distros,
> etc) saved as a backup somewhere, as every once in awhile, a config file
> will "vaporize", and it's very useful to be able to simply copy it over
> again from the backup location.  Even if it's slightly stale and needs a
> couple of done-over tweaks, that's a HUGE bit different than having to
> recustomize the ENTIRE config (even for a single app, when it's something
> as tweaked as my klipper config is) from the defaults.

Well, I have, by now, gone looking for the configuration files.  There
aren't any. :-(  This is not good, it means that data has been included
in the code rather than being put in configuration files -- not a good
design practice in my book (or the ones which I have read either :-)).

So, finding no configuration file, I looked at the code.  It appears
that this (the 4.3 BRANCH) was broken with revision 1024026.  Should I
file a bug report when basic TQM practices would have prevented the problem?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch