[kde-linux] Klipper: where have all the actions gone?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Sep 30 06:44:55 UTC 2009

James Tyrer posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:11:11 -0700 as excerpted:

> The action that asked if I wanted to open a copied URL stopped working
> so, I checked the Klipper configuration.  Well in the Actions section,
> the Action List window is empty.  I tried resetting my Klipper
> configuration (closed my session and removed my apps/klipper directory
> and the config/klipperrc file) didn't help.  Opened my KDE-4 test user
> and the same thing: no Actions.
>
> Any suggestions?  Or, theories?

Klipper, like much of kde4, doesn't seem to work as well as the kde3
version did.  I had my settings disappear, and basically copied over and
manually edited as appropriate the config file from the 3.5 version,
which I still had elsewhere.  There were a bunch of actions that weren't
showing up even tho they were still in the config file, others had been
overwritten by default actions, etc.

FWIW, one thing I figured out about kde years ago.  It's worth keeping a
copy of the entire ~/.kde (or whatever, may be ~/.kde4 in some distros,
etc) saved as a backup somewhere, as every once in awhile, a config file
will "vaporize", and it's very useful to be able to simply copy it over
again from the backup location.  Even if it's slightly stale and needs a
couple of done-over tweaks, that's a HUGE bit different than having to
recustomize the ENTIRE config (even for a single app, when it's something
as tweaked as my klipper config is) from the defaults.