[kde-linux] Am I Alone?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 30 06:05:14 UTC 2009

David Baron wrote:
> KDE4 works fine for me, BUT ...
>
> If one is using several plasmoids, desktops, etc., startup is
> sssslllloooooowwww. Startup status is not stable--desktops can be reordered
> and that trashcan is always mis-sized and mis-placed until I unlock widgets
> and mouse the curser near it, then voile. Sometimes kmix and kxkb appear on
> the panel, sometimes not (must be restarted).

Yes, I have to agree with you that Plasma startup is slow.  Part of this
seems to be caused by redundant redraws and reconfigurations.  Stuff
comes up in what appears to be a default configuration and is then
changed to match your configuration settings.  Apparently, this second
action doesn't always happen so your desktop then wrong.

I have seen this syndrome before in KDE-3 where stuff worked OK as long
as you don't change from the default configuration.  I sometimes wonder
if developers ever configure anything. :-)

Don't know what to tell you as it looks to me that this is going to take
major redesign and recoding to fix.

I like to have my DeskTop FolderView in the lower right rather than the
upper left of the screen.  Don't see why it should have to open in the
upper left first and then move to the lower right.  I see no redesign
occurring but the 4.3 branch after the 4.3.1 release does appear to be
becoming more stable.  My DeskTop FolderView hasn't disappeared lately
nor has it changed from DeskTop to $HOME recently.  It does seem to add
an unneeded vertical scroll bar when I startup the KDE session but that
is just an annoyance as long as I leave room for it (there is no
horizontal scroll bar and it simply rearranges the icons despite the
fact that I have "Lock in Place" on.

I was hoping that KDE-4.3 would finally be there (stable and usable).
But, now that I have switched to it for everyday use; I find that it is
still somewhat broken.  I have compiled a long list of issues.  I
suppose I should write bug reports for them.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch