[kde-linux] [SOLVED] Re: Korganizer no longer opens from system tray

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:12:30 UTC 2009

On Friday 11 September 2009 16:09:31 AG wrote:

> I went for the nuke 'em option, uninstalled everything to do with KDE
> and reinstalled it.  It is, as I suspected, because I borked the KDE
> libraries trying to download Amarok2.2.  Now, with a fresh KDE install,
> Korganizer (and I assume, from this discussion korgac?) is now working
> precisely as I wanted and expected it to.
>
> I wasn't aware that chasing Amarok2.2 would have such widespread
> consequences on the rest of the KDE code base, but there you go.  It
> appears that both KDE and Gnome don't allow a user to change things
> without almost throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  I have had a
> similar experience of trying to rid myself of applications Gnome has
> thought it "helpful" to include as default and when one tries to remove
> 'em, the entire library base for Gnome is threatened with removal as
> well (I'm thinking especially of Bluetooth and related apps).

Of course when distros package applications they are aware of possible
problems, and do everything possible to avoid them.  Frustrating as it is,
that's often the reason we can't get the latest version on our installed
systems.

> Anyway, for me this issue is resolved and I apologise if this has been a
> waste of time.  Chalk it up to my profound ignorance in the face of
> increasing computing complexity.
>
> Thanks for your generosity of time and effort in helping.

When people keep their cool and investigate, giving as clear information as
they can, it is no hardship to try to help.  I'm just glad you got your
solution.  And, may I say, glad also that you took the trouble to explain your
resolution.  It might save a lot of time for someone reading the archives
later.