[kde-linux] Korganizer no longer opens from system tray

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:27:00 UTC 2009

On Friday 11 September 2009 14:01:38 AG wrote:

> My sole point of reference for this is from the days of KDE3.5 -
> although a recent upgrade to KDE4 did behave in a similar fashion -
> where, regardless of the DE/WM I used (Xfce4, GNOME, LXDE) the
> application (I have always clicked on or used a script to invoke)
> Korganizer would quietly sit in the system tray (on the panel near the
> clock - I'm happy to use a screen shot if this list allows attachments?)
> and if I wanted to add a new appointment, I would single left click on
> the icon (used to be a picture of an old hand bell and a chart/calendar)
> and this would open up the organiser.  I'd set an appointment and then
> close (not minimise!) the application and it would return to sitting
> quietly until either I deliberately clicked on it again, or an alert
> triggered it and it would pop up with a reminder.
>
> I'm not sure what else I can say really.  As I've already said, I didn't
> realise there was something called korgac and if that was a daemon that
> powered/ supported Korganizer then I was happily oblivious to it.  It
> was not something I have ever deliberately invoked before.

It was a long time before I realised that it was, as you might say, a
sideshoot of korganizer, not korganizer itself ;-)

> If a screen shot would help ensure we are talking about the same thing
> (albeit perhaps with different terms), then that will be easy to
> arrange.  In the meantime, I'll scout around and see if I can find an
> alternative and look to transfer my reminders, etc. over to the new
> app.  It could well be that I borked something when I attempted to
> obtain Amarok 2.2 from Debian Experimental and a load of KDE libraries
> were (incompletely) pulled in as well.  Hence, I may just have to remove
> KDE and reinstall the KDE-Base and that may clear up the problem.
>
> Thanks for your kkind offer of help.  Much appreciated both of you.

Small attachments are allowed, but it's better to upload screenshots to
imagebin.org (temporary storage), but before you do, maybe it's actually much
simpler than I first thought.  Try this.

In kickoff (new-style menu) put korganizer into the search box, and when you
see the correct entry, right-click on it and Add to Panel.  Then use the
instructions you can see in this screencast
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/HowTo#Panel_Widgets, third entry, to move
the icon to where you want it.

Does that do what you want?