[kde-linux] Where to send init X commands?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Sep 11 04:39:12 UTC 2009

Alain Mouette posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:18:40 -0300 as excerpted:

> I am using KDE on Kubuntu 8.04. It has a very
> annoying setup that forces me to issue
>    xhost +
> before any window runs as root.
>
> My question is: Where should I put a simple script
> to be run when KDE has already started?
>
> FWIK, ~/.kde/Autostart is for x.desktop icons, right?

At least with kde4 (4.3.1 is current, what kubuntu of a year and a half
had I don't know, was it kde4 yet?, have you update?), in kcontrol aka
system settings, there's an autostart applet.  It allows one to setup
either a desktop file or a script file.

Regardless of whether kde supports autostart scripts directly, it's
reasonably easy to setup a *.desktop file that runs a script.  I recently
reset my previously highly customized menu and thus don't have any handy
examples, but I used kmenuedit to setup shell-script menu entries all the
time, for both kde3 and 4, and those get translated to desktop file
entries, or at least they do on kde4 and /used/ to long ago on kde3, so I
don't know why they'd have stopped doing so for some version in the
middle.