[kde-linux] Commands of KDE4?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Sep 4 10:27:49 UTC 2009

On Friday, 2009-09-04, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working on a KDE-Integration module for sawfish and need to now some
> > things:
> >
> > - Is there an environment variable notifying us that KDE is running?
>
> This is not a simple question. :-|  It depends on what you mean by KDE
> is running.  That is, KDE is only a collection of programs.
>
> Perhaps: "KDE_SESSION_UID" being set to the current USER will indicate
> that a KDE session has been started.

There is also $KDE_FULL_SESSION

> > - What command is used as control-center (kcontrol?)
>
> No, name changed to systemsettings.

Right, and kcmshell4 for running a specific module.

> > - What command is used to pop-up the KDE Logout-Dialog?
>
> The dialog that pops up when you right click the desktop and select:
> "Leave"?  That is probably hardcoded somewhere in Plasma.  Perhaps a
> D-Bus message?  If there is documentation for this stuff, I would really
> like to know where it is.

There is a logout method in the D-Bus interface of KSMServer
It is basically the D-Bus facing part of this method
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdebase-workspace-
apidocs/libs/kworkspace/html/namespaceKWorkSpace.html#aebd506f19067a1ae1c00ae4b8f2d7c03

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring