[kde-linux] OT hmmm, no posts for couple of days?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 27 09:29:55 UTC 2009

Dale posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2009 03:02:24 -0500 as excerpted:

> david wrote:
>> just wondering ...
>>
> Yep it's working still, at least mine and yours anyway.  LOL

The gmane.comp.kde.general newsgroup gets more action than
gmane.comp.kde.linux (this one).

... Yes, I know they're mailing lists, but gmane carries them as
newsgroups, as it does quite a few mailing lists, and that's how I prefer
to read my lists, as that way all the list mail doesn't overwhelm my
email... plus, I like the newsgroup interface better than mail anyway
(tho they're similar), and DEFINITELY better than web forums, in
general.  (/. is about the only exception, a web forum that I think works
better that way than it would as a (set of) newsgroup(s), in part due to
their scoring system.)

But the point still stands, the general kde list/group gets more traffic
than we do here in the kde-linux list/group, partly because many of the
issues are they types that would be cross-platform, and thus apply to
more than just Linux.  (They probably apply to the BSDs and KDE/MSWormOS
too.)  The fact that it gets more traffic tends to be self-sustaining,
too, in that people are going to want to post where their message is most
likely to be seen, which, upto a certain point anyway (LKML, the Linux
kernel list, of course, is waaayyy beyond that point), is the busier
group/list.